Oakzanita Springs Thousand Trails
11053 HWY 79 Descanso, Ca. 91916
Ranger Station: (619) 445-2515
Cell Data Notes
Verizon Internet card works reliably here, no park internet found
State Travel Regulations for RV’s
Check legal RV limits for this highway – Lower San Diego Legal RV Map
RV Restrictions for all California – know your length limits before you tread in California. In California your RV weight limit is 20,500 pounds on any one axle. National weight code for Motorhomes on the Interstates: U.S. Code, Title 23, Section 127 allows buses and motorhomes a maximum single-axle weight of 24,000.
California Weigh Station or scales are for commercial vehicles and rental trucks, RV’s only have to stop if flagged down somehow.
Does California require I have a special license to drive an RV? Your state drivers license if it allows you to drive you RV is good in California for same type of RV use as permitted to you in your state. California drivers need an endorsement and meet medical requirements.
Winter time driving and chain requirement in California. – Please refer to this document in the section labled RV’s they say they may require both out and inner duals to be chained together under some circumstances. Use the document in the link above to get all the details. Too complicated for my brain, as my CPU is out of date, and I am shy on memory.
California Tolls suck but they are the law, and this is how you deal with them if you are wealthy enough to California. Gees with all these fees, it’s no wonder every one is said to be on government assistance.
Everyone needs fuel – List of California Truck Stops – Note: San Diego area has the closest known truck stop to this park.
Points of Interest
- Natural History Museum – $20 pp works hard to challenges your Christian beliefs in Balboa Park (50 Miles)
- San Diego Zoo – $56 pp park in Balboa park we never been inn the zoo- (50 Miles)
If your cash is important to you, don’t despair. Come to Balboa park, it is pretty, has cactus and rose gardens which are free.
- Surf Lessons – Good Value even at $85 per lesson. Our kids each did a private lesson and loved it. (55 Miles) Public parking 1 mile away.
- Sea World – $80 pp plus parking at Mission Bay. (50 Miles)
- Old Town Trolley Tours – $36pp parking varies, pickup in Balboa Park (50 Miles)
- Coronado Island – We love the beaches, free parking can be had on north end of island. (55 Miles)
- Silver Strand State Beach – Parking fees apply (60 miles)
- Mission Beach – Parking cost all over the place, Beaches and parks are free and fun (60 Miles)
- Creation Museum – used to be free, very well done, but $8 pp we can no longer afford to go (35 Miles)
The main reason to go to this park is not to tour, go to Pio Pico Thousand Trails for that. As we showed if you want to drive an hour or so, touring can be done. Look at the Pio Pico Thousand Trails page for more touring ideas. This park is a jewel in that it has both voice and cellular data which makes it a great place to relax, or work.
This park is in an arid mountain pine, oak and sage climate. Lots of trees, lots of grass, and some natural water features. Staff we met so far has been polite and helpful. The sites are mostly not level, closer together than most east coast parks, and many are tight for big rigs. “A” loop appeared to have very few sewer hookups, but had good electric, and better sites. “B” loop has most of the sewer sites.