Pio Pico Thousand Trails
14615 Otay Lakes Rd.
Jamul, CA 91935
Ranger Station: (619) 421-0104
Verizon card was good for small email only, could buy park internet for $11 week. ATT phone worked in few areas of the park. Really can’t work from here if you need stable voice and data. It’s is a shame, this is one of our favorite parks.
Postal General Delivery – General Delivery, Jamul, CA 91935 (Easy to find.)
Check legal RV limits for this highway – Lower San Diego Legal RV Map
RV Restrictions for all California – know your length limits before you tread in California. In California your RV weight limit is 20,500 pounds on any one axle. National weight code for Motorhomes on the Interstates: U.S. Code, Title 23, Section 127 allows buses and motorhomes a maximum single-axle weight of 24,000.
California Weigh Station or scales are for commercial vehicles and rental trucks, RV’s only have to stop if flagged down somehow.
Does California require I have a special license to drive an RV? Your state drivers license if it allows you to drive you RV is good in California for same type of RV use as permitted to you in your state. California drivers need an endorsement and meet medical requirements.
Winter time driving and chain requirement in California. – Please refer to this document in the section labled RV’s they say they may require both out and inner duals to be chained together under some circumstances. Use the document in the link above to get all the details. Too complicated for my brain, as my CPU is out of date, and I am shy on memory.
California Tolls suck but they are the law, and this is how you deal with them if you are wealthy enough to California. Gees with all these fees, it’s no wonder every one is said to be on government assistance.
Everyone needs fuel – List of California Truck Stops – Note: San Diego area has the closest known truck stop to this park.
Points of Interest
- Natural History Museum – $20 pp Works hard to challenges your Christian beliefs. We feel it is more political, than scientific, but that is just our opinion. Museum is in Balboa Park (32 Miles)
- San Diego Zoo – $56 pp park in Balboa park we never been inn the zoo- (32 Miles)
If your cash is important to you, don’t despair. Come to Balboa park, it is pretty, has cactus and rose gardens which are free.
- Surf Lessons – Good Value even at $85 per lesson. Our kids each did a private lesson and loved it. (35 Miles) Public parking 1 mile away.
- Sea World – $80 pp plus parking at Mission Bay. (30 Miles)
- Old Town Trolley Tours – $36pp parking varies, pickup in Balboa Park (32 Miles)
- Coronado Island – We love the beaches, free parking can be had on north end of island. (27 Miles)
- Silver Strand State Beach – Parking fees apply (26 miles)
- Mission Beach – Parking cost all over the place, Beaches and parks are free and fun (34 Miles)
- San Diego Mission, cost ??. Be careful driving there as there are tolls. Avoid them using the directions we provide by clicking the link in following at the end of this description.. The toll road seldom saves time. (29 miles)
- Creation Museum – used to be free, very well done, but $8 pp we can no longer afford to go (26 Miles)
We really like the Thousand Trails Pio Pico preserve. The main park where one enters by the store has sewer hookups, very few sites where the cell phone works. These sites are against the hills to the left. We have parked in the back of this section behind the adult pool and got some service with a weBoost wilson booster. The activity lodge is large and houses a cafe. We did not get to try it out. They had Rib Eye for $8.00, seems like a bargain. The other side of the highway has the Adult lodge just after the entrance to the left, I was looking for it while on foot and completely missed it, after walking the whole opposite side of the park, giving up and heading back to the main park I then found it. The lodge is not marked, no signs, I just thought it was an admin building against the highway, but back in the trees. Just like Verde Valley Thousand Trails, the laundry machines work on card that has to be bought at the store for $2.00, plus however much you think you will need. We just do the laundry when we are in town. We use National City coin Laundry in National City. The key to this park, is stay in the main section, stay in the loop under the youth center which is your immediate left, but toward the back. This will keep you away from the highway, where good cell reception may be possible if the stars line up correctly. Please be careful on the highway between the park and Jamul, the highway is better than that between Descanso and Okanzita, but is very dangerous due to high speeds narrow roads and impatient drivers, we a family bite it head on, there appeared to be no survivors. The park is a great park, well worth your vacation time. Just keep your eyes open and don’t rush to get around on these roads.
Hope this park description does you be, and you will book mark us and come back for more.